Current Job Openings
Purpose and Scope: The Jr. Systems Administrator is responsible for participation in support of the company's technical operations.
- Monitors, receives and responds to incidents, alerts, and downtimes triggered in NOC performance monitoring tools.
- Collects and reviews performance trends of edge devices and servers to facilitate forecasting and preventive maintenance of infrastructure.
- Builds and maintains Linus images for PLC devices.
- Monitors and maintains edge device networks and cloud infrastructure (AWS).
- Performs patch management and application services. Administers and executes change management procedures.
- Analyzes and resolves problems in servers, routers, PLC hardware and software.
- Provides assistance (both remote and onsite), including but not limited to deployment of applications and firmware.
- Manages and maintains secure, minimally-interrupted operations of Linux servers and workstations.
- Performs technical research on Information Technology topics, as requested, and produces presentations with recommendations which are understandable to a non-technical audience.
- Coordinates actions with peer system administrators, network administrators, security teams, software teams, and hardware engineers.
- Monitors backups, data replication, and activates failover strategies when required.
- Maintains asset list of software, hardware and firmware to ensure version consistency across systems.
- Works with technical writers to maintain accurate process documentation for system configuration, operations and maintenance.
- May involve occasional travel in support of troubleshooting, testing, and deployment activities.
- All other duties as required.
Skills / Other:
- Schedule flexibility necessary for off-hours, weekends, and a variable schedule, as necessary, including travel (which may include overnight stays).
- Excellent time management.
- Able to work independently.
- Able to anticipate.
- Analytical and critical thinker.
- Solid organizational skills.
- Solid communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Familiarity with NAS, SAN and Network troubleshooting.
- Experience in isolating, identifying, and solving software and hardware issues in a Linux environment.
- Deep knowledge of Linux system, its operations, testing, troubleshooting, and upgrading.
- Experience in supporting a network of systems and hardware by various vendors.
- Familiar with Debian/Red Hat for Linux.
- Familiar with Linux commands, file manipulations, file editing, file systems, storage environments.
- Networking protocols, debugging network problems, familiar with the OSI model.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, SNMP and command line network troubleshooting tools.
- Network routing between LANs/WANs (over VPN) and VPN setup (configuration, routing, certificate generation).
- Firewall setup and traffic flow management.
- Setup and configuration of various networking devices (routers, switches, interfaces, etc.).
- Installation and configuration (software dependencies, IPs, routing).
- Scripting and cron (Bash, Python, other).
- Basic knowledge in SQL writing, relational and non-relational databases.
- Web server setup (NGINX, Apache, Node.js, Vue.js).
- Experience with ticketing and monitoring tools (such as Jira, Zabbix, Grafana).
- Experience in AWS cloud-based services (such as EC2, EFS, ELB, ECS, Route53 and S3 storage).
- DevOps automation and operations knowledge (Git, Jenkins, Ansible and Terraform platforms).
- Knowledge or experience in containerized environments (such as Docker or Kubernetes).
- 3-5 Years of direct experience involving the installation, maintenance, and support of a Linux-based environment.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
Motive Energy Storage Systems provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race (including traits historically or culturally associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress and religious grooming), color, age (40 and over), genetic information, disability (mental and physical), medical condition (as defined under state law), national origin (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver's license issued under section 12801.9 of the California Vehicle Code), ancestry, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression), sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, parental status, domestic partner status, citizenship status, pregnancy (including perceived pregnancy, childbirth, lactation, or pregnancy-related conditions), military caregiver status, military status, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law Motive Energy Storage Systems complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. Motive Energy Storage Systems expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment or discrimination based on any of these protected categories.
The duties and responsibilities described above are not a comprehensive list and that additional tasks may be assigned. The scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands.