Current Job Openings
Motive Energy, based in Fountain Valley, CA does end-to-end work in the distributed and renewable energy space for Commercial and Industrial customers. Likewise, in the infrastructure industry, Motive also provides comprehensive EPC services to the telecom and wireless industry.
The Civil/Structural Design Engineer Manager will be responsible for facility level design and analysis of solar & BESS energy facilities along with review and revision of commercial and utility plan sets for photovoltaic (PV) and Battery Storage (BESS) system installation and site survey sketches. Plan sets include site plans, geotechnical reports, site surveys, erosion control, environmental impacts, foundation layouts, BOM's, structural details, material take-offs, and equipment specifications. They will work closely with customers and other engineering and design team members and contractors to coordinate the overall design packages and requirements and then help transition the designs to the field where they will ensure the successful construction and energization of the project.
Daily Responsibilities and Duties:
- Civil/Structural plant design understanding of power and distribution systems (Low, Medium and High Voltage) to provide reviews & comments.
- Analysis of applicable studies, including topography surveys, geotechnical reports, Alta Surveys, environmental impact surveys, corrosion analysis, hydrology reports, etc.
- Design development & optimization, field construction and installation means & methods
- Developing/contributing detailed design concepts for solar PV and BESS system design
- Provide long term detailed design, optimization, and constructability support
- Develop, update, and use civil/structural engineering calculation tools to size equipment and material based on project requirements.
- Independent engineering report writing and evaluation
- Calculation reviews of pressures, loads, & stresses
- Reviews of commercial agreements including Power Purchase Agreement (PPA), Interconnection Agreements, Service Contracts, Facility Studies
This includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Work alongside the Business Development, Estimating, and Engineering teams to create preliminary site layouts and landscape plans for project proposals.
- Provides engineering support for proposals, estimating, procurement and construction.
- Provides technical support to personnel/cross functional teams supporting the assigned project by performing advanced level engineering tasks, calculations, data analysis, and studies as needed to develop preliminary detailed scopes of work on large and small projects.
- Assess the equipment technology and expected use case of the proposed projects to optimize the system design with the optimal technology, material, augmentation, and asset mix
- Assist with design and optimization of BESS and solar PV systems to meet project requirements, minimize cost, and propose value.
- Demonstrate familiarity with the mounting and installation of various typical pieces of equipment used in the proper design and installation of renewable energy projects.
- Assistance with planning and/or obtaining permits and regulatory approvals.
- Review and approve material specifications and equipment vendor drawings on major equipment from manufacturers.
- Conducts project detailed design and QA/QC reviews for completeness and accuracy of internal and external design documents that align with our customer requirements, CSI's standards, and industry best practices.
- Perform site visits as needed to verify that construction agrees with engineering design drawings, including preparatory meetings, and QA/QC.
- Prioritize, multitask, and follow through on assigned tasks and projects with minimal supervision.
- Assure proper documentation of technical data generated for the assigned projects and/or tasks are consistent with engineering best practices and policies.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's Degree in Structural Engineering (Required)
- Must be a professional engineer (PE) in Structural Engineering
- Licensed in the following states: CA (open to receive your license in other states that we are currently operating)
- Design of steel structures and creation of Engineering permitting packages meeting US building codes.
- Travel may be needed on occasion for licensing purposes
- Experience with STAAD.Pro, AutoCAD, SAFE, RISA, Navisworks, Autodesk Revit, SAP2000, MATLAB, and / or Python is helpful, but not required
- Creation of reusable structural calculation tools (excel, python, etc.)
- Work well independently and in a team environment
- Good written and verbal communication skills